15 months - Feb
Length: 31 inches (50%)
Weight: 22 lbs; 4 oz (25%)
Head: 18 3/4 inches (75%)
Ian is akin to a bobble head. We have a follow up appt in 6 weeks to make certain that he is gaining more weight.
Ian has grown quite the personality. He knows exactly what he wants when he wants. The only problem is that it usually does not coincides w/ what I am doing at the moment. He points to everything he sees and accompanies the gesture with a tone of voice that goes up as if to ask about the object in question. He has begun to categorize things. Any animal he sees on four legs he signs dog. Any person he sees he signs daddy. Any type of drink he sees he signs milk.
His interest for books and story time continue at an alarming rate. He uses his index finger to point to the words in the book as I guide his hand to follow the sentences. He hasn't developed an interest in television programs as he has with the actual electronics for the television, which suites me fine. When he is not busy pulling toys out of the storage ottoman (or that there are no more toys to pull out) he simply opens his board books and looks at the colorful pictures. When he wants to be read to he brings the book to you. However, you have to expect that he will flip through the pages rather quickly, or skip pages altogether, or bring you another book before you are done with the one in hand.
He has not developed stranger danger. As a matter of fact, he has become quite affectionate by passing out hugs and kisses to folks who are not family. However, he has developed separation anxiety, which is short lived with the presence of food or toys. Regarding food, Ian is learning how to cook! He usually sits in his highchair finishing his dinner as I prep for the evening's menu. He can demonstrate how to smash garlic. Okay, maybe not learning how to actually cook, but more on food prep.
14 months - Jan
Ian has been walking more often now, though he still gets down on all fours when he feels he is not moving fast enough. The new year has brought, and still bringing, new teeth for Ian. I had read that teeth should come in one per month until all 20 are in. Unfortunately, this is not the case for Ian. He had 4 incisors and 4 molars cut through. Bless his heart! The nights have been excruciating. I've been told about using frozen bagels, or frozen teething rings. Again, every child is different. Ian does not like either method. I found that celery sticks chilled in water and kept in the frig work well for him. The ridges and the cold soothe his gums. Also, since celery is stringy, it helps prevent him from choking on any large chunks he may break off. I will say that I am lucky that Ian does not make a fuss over veggies. He liked corn well enough, but since I let him eat it off the cob, he can't get enough. Any of the squashes he will inhale.
I still have not truly baby proofed the house. If you've ever been to our house, you would know that it is small enough not to have a baby monitor. Besides, my "mother's hearing" is pretty keen from 12A - 6A. I have put outlet covers on throughout the house. I have not put locks on the kitchen cabinets. However, I have rearranged said cabinets to only house plastic wear. When I am not in the kitchen, the baby gate closes off the room entirely. Again, the house is intimate enough where the extent of my baby proofing is simply to remove Ian from danger and place him in a more safe area and distract him with another activity. Sometimes that activity will be music. He has rhythm! Thank the Lord. When he feels the beat of the music, he will pulse his body in time w/ the music.

No comments:
Post a Comment